Home

The bolts in both the bike hubs that I am using have a different thread (and therefore nuts) to standard metric sizes that you can buy in hardware stores. This meant that we had to attach the two hubs somehow, without just putting a threaded rod between the two with joint connector nuts. So the solution was, I found a steel tube (pictured above), and had 2 bike nuts wedged and welded in at either end. When I tested it I found that its not perfectly straight, which is problematic as it spins at an angle, so the wooden support that we make for the top hub might rip apart on a very windy day. I am now thinking of getting a threaded rod as my axle, then welding a nut that fits to that, to a nut that fits the bike bolts (x 2). Also that way it has a tiny bit of flex compared to the steel tube.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s